Moszna is located on a route connecting Prudnik and Krapkowice. The name of the village likely comes from the surname, Moschin, of a family which arrived to the Łącznik parish in the 14th century.
As legend has it, in medieval times Moszna belonged to the Templar Order. In 1679 Moszna was in the possession of the von Skall family. In 1723 a year after the death of the owner, Ursula Maria von Skall, Moszna was passed to her cousin, grand marshal of Frederich the Great – Georg Wilhelm von Reisewitz.
The palace – the central part of the present castle – dates from this period. In 1771 the von Reisewitz family lost Moszna, and the property was auctioned off to Heinrich Leopold von Seherr-Thoss, whose family also owned a castle and property in nearby Dobra. In 1853 Karl Gotthard Seherr-Thoss sold Moszna to Heinrich von Erdmannsdorf, who sold it in 1866 to Hubert von Tiele-Winckler from Miechowice.
His son, Franz Hubert, was the originator and builder of the castle, which was erected after the Baroque palace partially burnt down in 1896 The grandfather of Franz Hubert, Franz Winckler, worked in a mine in Miechowice. After the death of his wife and the mine owner, he married a rich widow – Maria Aresin. In 1840 he was awarded nobility by the Prussian King. The heiress of the fortune was his daughter, Valeska, who in 1854 married Huberta von Tiele and it was him who bought Moszna in 1866 Following the marriage, they use a joint surname – Tiele-Winckler. Hubert died in 1893 and his property was transferred, according to the principle of primogeniture, to his oldest son – who was the previously mentioned Frenz-Hubert.
In 1895 he entered aristocracy thanks to an earl title given to him by Wilhelm II. A year later, after a fire, he rebuilt and expanded his residence. In 1904 and later 1911 and 1912 the earl was visited by the German emperor for hunting and it was for him that in 1911 – 1913 the west wing was built. The son of Franz-Hubert, Claus-Peter squandered his ancestors’ fortune in the inter-war period. Dying without children, he adopted his cousin, whose son was to inherit the wealth and earl title. His family lived in Moszna Castle until the end of the war and fled from the incoming Red Army to Germany. After the war the fate of the castle was unsure – from 1972 it functioned as a neuroses therapy hospital. Moszna – the Castle, in line with Franz-Hubert’s fantasy, has 365 rooms and 99 towers which it is famous for. The unique architecture of the castle attracts many tourists every year.
the Moschin family arrives at the present Moszna
the von Skall family becomes the owner of Moszna
the village is passed to the von Reisewitz family
the property is auctioned off to Heinrich Leopold von Seherr-Thoss
Moszna is purchased by the von Erdmannsdorf family
the palace is purchased by the von Tiele-Winckler family
Franz Huber von Tiele-Winckler is awarded earl title by Wilhelm II
a great fire breaks out
palace reconstruction combined with the neo-Gothic wing expansion
neo-Renaissance wing palace expansion
the von Tiele-Winckler family abandons the palace escaping from the incoming Soviet army
the palace is transferred to the treasury of Polish People’s Republic
the palace houses the State Sanatorium in Branice
the palace houses the Provincial Preventive Sanatorium Centre
the Marshal’s Office as the owner of the palace, founds Moszna Zamek sp. z o.o.